Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Sex: God Knows Best

Sex was not a glitch in God's creative intent. God invented sex.

It is His gift to man. He meant sex for its pure pleasure. He meant it to be enjoyed.

Read the book of Song of Solomon in the Bible if you think my foregoing statements are heretical.

Of course, God, being a God of order, set standards within which sex is to be enjoyed.

In His eternal wisdom, He was also first to prescribe when sex is safe. Long before man ever thought of safe sex, God already gave instructions on how to enjoy sex while staying farthest away from disease and the heartaches and tragedies that come when it is abused.

Scripture:
"Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." (1 Corinthians 6:18-20)

Observation:
Escape, run away from sexual sin. It is the best way to remain pure and to fight sexual temptation. Sexual sin is sin against one's own body. It is a desecration of a temple of the Holy Spirit. Indwelt by the Holy Spirit, one's body is no longer one's own. The believer has been bought by the precious blood of Jesus Christ shed from his broken body that was nailed to the cross on Calvary. It behooves the believer to honor God with their body.

Application:
Faced with sexual temptation, God's promised way out for me is flight. In flight I remain pure, honoring with my body God whose Spirit lives in me. I am after all blood-bought and therefore wholly owned by Christ. With respect to the body, what I eat, what I drink, what I allow my senses to perceive, and how I keep healthy and strong all honor God.

Prayer:
Holy Spirit convict me when I wander too closely around sexual temptation. Please give me wisdom, discernment and strength to run away from it. Please enable me to honor my Savior Jesus Christ with my body. For it is in His Name that I pray. Amen.

March 21, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.