Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Walking On Water

Often, the first image that comes to mind when the Apostle Peter is mentioned is that impetuous disciple who tended to put his shoe in his mouth a lot.

He was the one that asked to walk with Jesus on the water and sank half-way when he took his eyes off Him and became afraid of the wind and the waves.

Bumbling? Perhaps. But not quite infrequently, we miss the fact that among Christ's disciples, Peter was the only one that actually walked on water!

The act was childlike---a quality so endearing to God---as Peter asked to come to the LORD on the water. And the request was bold, an attribute also encouraged by God. So Jesus said, "Come."

Scripture:
"And Peter answered Him and said, LORD, if it is You, tell me to come to You on the water. And He said, Come. And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus." (Matthew 14:28-29)

Observation:
In faith, boldly ask and trust that it will be given.

Application:
Trust in the LORD. What God wills will be done. For as long as I ask what is in his will, I can trust that it will be given. If I ask God for it to happen, it will take place.

Prayer:
God, I know that Peter proved his faith little in this instance when he took his focus off Jesus and was overcome with fear. I do not pretend to be of greater faith although I like to think so. But what I desire more, Father, is to bless my Savior, Jesus Christ. Knowing that the Holy Spirit's will is to honor God the Son, and that He dwells in me, let me ask for the miraculous. Let the supernatural happen, dear LORD, so that I may point to You as the One who caused it. I will be careful to give You all the glory. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

April 27, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.