Saturday, July 28, 2007

Faith And Reward In Mistreatment

Many are the ambitious causes that have spawned staunch but unknown advocates who endured much suffering, even death, in pursuit of an end they deemed worth losing their lives for. Many are the unsung heroes of wars and ideologies that were the true cogs and wheels of victories---and sacrificial retreats---that have gone on to live invisible lives devoid of recognition or acknowledgment.

God alone promises sure commendation to the believer that bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. (1 Peter 2:19)

God blesses the man who perseveres under trial. When he has stood the test, God will give him the crown of life He promised to those who love Him. (James 1:2-4, 12)

From long ago, God has ordained that His righteous ones will live by faith. (Habakkuk 2:4, Romans 1:17, Galatians 3:11, Hebrews 10:38)

Truly, it is faith that makes it possible to please God. How far away can blessings be when God is pleased?

Scripture:
"By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh's daughter. He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time. He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward." (Hebrews 11:24-26)

Observation:
Great was the faith exemplified by Moses. He refused to live a lie and suffered because he did. He was mistreated but regarded it more important than Egypt's riches because he trusted in God and that it was for Him that he was suffering. He trusted that in the future, God will richly reward him.

Application:
I need to live by faith just as Moses did. Doing so may invite ridicule, misunderstanding, even outright persecution. I can look ahead to my reward, like Moses did, which makes fleshly treasures less valuable than disgrace suffered for the sake of Christ.

Prayer:
Father God, please fill me with Your Holy Spirit. Enable me to endure and to joyfully persevere. I look forward to my reward, not just for my comfort and pride but because I see in it greater glory being attributed to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. For it is in His Name that I pray. Amen.

December 13, 2006 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.