Thursday, July 26, 2007

God's Presence Is The Place To Be

How would you like to be guided in the wilderness by a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night?

It must have been quite a spectacle for the Israelites in those days. God was in the cloud leading them in the daytime. And at night, he was in the fire so that they could see their way. (Exodus 13:21)

Day or night they could travel.

It must have been so comforting!

In our days, the LORD is never far away either. To the believer, He has promised, "...surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:20)

Here's one more outrageous tip: God seeks to have an intimate relationship with those that believe in the Name of His Son, Jesus Christ.

Scripture:
"Whether the cloud stayed over the tabernacle for two days or a month or a year, the Israelites would remain in camp and not set out; but when it lifted, they would set out." (Numbers 9:22)

Observation:
God's chosen people obediently followed His direction through His presence symbolized by the cloud over the tabernacle.

Application:
God's presence in the life of the believer is paramount. As God seeks intimacy in relationship with His children, so must the child of God seek the same in Him. This relationship is never strained so long as the believer is obedient. What father-child relationship after all is troubled when the child is compliant? There is no fear over loss of direction either when God is near. In His presence is the place to be.

Prayer:
Holy Spirit, please guide me in all truth and enable me to be obedient. Fill me and spur me on so I may follow God's direction; whether He stays over me, the one in whom He tabernacles, or lifts. Please help me cultivate intimacy with my Father in heaven. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

February 21, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.