Monday, July 30, 2007

Faithfulness To God's Call

There is this couple that come to the small group I facilitate at East Hill Church. They have always been there since the group was formed. They are not very young anymore but they inspire me with their dedication. They are not in the best state of health yet they are always there at every meeting. They are always involved in projects, contributing not only their presence but in kind and even financially.

They are active in the church's children's ministry. On top of it all, they are always taking in foster kids. They seem to have a knack for ending up taking care of the more challenging kids. You know, the ones who have been through trauma or an abusive set of parents.

And they are so humble that when I acknowledge them before the group, they would take me aside and politely ask me not to "embarrass" them like that anymore.

The Christian church has countless numbers of faithful servants such as these. The ones that bring flowers for the altar, mop the floor, wash dishes in the kitchen, keep the grounds, fix the plumbing, the roof, the electrical and lighting system.

The pastor preaching the message is a most admirable, respected, well-loved and known minister of God.

In God's eyes, the contribution of the person that brings flowers, mops the floor, takes care of the kitchen, the grounds, the plumbing, the roof, or the lights, is no less important than the office of the man He has ordained to preach His message.

Scripture:
"There was also a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Phanuel of the tribe of Asher. She was very old; she had lived with her husband seven years after her marriage, and then was a widow until she was eighty-four. She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying. Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem." (Luke 2:36-38)

Observation:
Anna was called a prophetess, one who hears and speaks of the Lord. Worshiping night and day at the temple after being widowed, fasting and praying, seemed to indicate her great love for the Lord and her single-mindedness about her calling. She was prepared, groomed to testify to the coming of the Redeemer, to the fulfillment of the promise.

Application:
Faithful pursuit of a calling may at times seem tedious and lonely. Its final fulfillment may even seem just a tiny window in time, a fraction of an event in history. Yet in God's perspective, it is a momentous process from beginning till end. I must cling to what is promised to me. I must be faithful to what is required. I must count on the enabling grace and sustaining strength of the Holy Spirit.

Prayer:
Father God, I want to be faithful to my calling. Please fill me with the enabling power of the Holy Spirit and sustain me with the might of Your grace. In Jesus' sweet Name I pray. Amen.

January 2, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.

"Artwork by John Bell copyright 1998-2007 (http://www.jrbell.com/index.html) used with permission".