Monday, July 23, 2007

The Fateful Lightning Of His Terrible Swift Sword

"Amazing grace," so goes a very popular Christian song. God is love. God is extremely patient.

God is more than able to forgive. He is mighty to save. He is Father to the fatherless, friend to the friendless.

What wonderful attributes of God! So kindly. So full of mercy.

But a discussion of the character of God would not be complete without speaking of God's justice. Without God's rebuke and discipline. Without the idea that to God, the wages of sin is and will always be death.

Oh, yes, God is slow to anger but He does get angry.

Scripture:
"There he broke the flashing arrows, the shields and the swords, the weapons of war. ...Valiant men lie plundered, they sleep their last sleep; not one of the warriors can lift his hands. At your rebuke, O God of Jacob, both horse and chariot lie still. You alone are to be feared. Who can stand against you when you are angry? From heaven you pronounced judgment, and the land feared and was quiet---when you, O God, rose up to judge, to save all the afflicted of the land. ...Make vows to the LORD your God and fulfill them; let all the neighboring lands bring gifts to the One to be feared. He breaks the spirit of rulers; he is feared by the kings of the earth." (Psalm 76:3, 5-9, 11-12)

Observation:
The troubles of the afflicted trouble the heart of God. His patience is without equal but no one can stand against Him when He gets angry. One angel of His slays an entire army (2 Kings 19:35). He rebukes oppressors and the unjust. Kings of the earth fear God. With a sweep of His mighty hand, He breaks their spirit.

Application:
I fear God with a respectful fear. I trust that He will not forget me in times of oppression and injustice. I trust that He will save me in times of affliction. I will be faithful to fulfill my vows before God. I will not fret when the wicked seem to have their way. I will pray for leaders of homes as well as nations. I will pray that none may fall into the hands of God when His patience runs out.

Prayer:
Yes, Father. Please, extend your grace and mercy to Your servant. Holy Spirit, please enable me to be true to my vows. I pray in behalf of those that lead people, whether in homes or country clubs or nations. I pray that You grant them Your wisdom and salvation. I pray that You honor Your Name through their accomplishments. In Jesus' Name, I pray. Amen.

Yesterday's entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.