Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Praying God's Way

I have had wonderful times spent in prayer with some of God's most faithful. I remember many years that we woke up at dawn, when most of the city was still asleep. We gathered together and prayed about the church, the state of the nation, world affairs, our neighborhood, loved ones. We prayed for one another.

We praised God for His blessings. We wept before Him on matters that troubled our hearts. We spent entire dawns on worship and thanksgiving.

There is nothing like soaking in the presence of God. And prayer, offered in worship and praise, is one of those things that God inhabits.

Is there a right or wrong way to pray? I don't know. Is there a right or wrong way to speak to your father?

Scripture:
"And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him." (Matthew 6:7-8)

Observation:
Quantity of words in prayer does not matter. God already knows what we need before we even utter one word about them.

Application:
Flowery, fancy, long-winded prayer does not make it any more effective than concise, informed sentences offered sincerely to God. I should speak to God in prayer in brief but honest statements that echo what is truly in my heart. I should speak with respect but intimately, as though to a friend.

Prayer:
Father, please enable me with Your Holy Spirit to focus on You and on connecting my heart to Yours when praying. Let me not cause others to shy away from praying boldly because of the manner that I pray. May my prayer seek instead to bring honor and glory to Your Name. In Jesus, I pray. Amen.

April 19, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.


"Artwork by John Bell copyright 1998-2007 (http://www.jrbell.com/index.html) used with permission".