Friday, August 03, 2007

Gifted To Be A Gift

What fabulous creation human beings are! Their ability to create, build, perform, and overcome just amazes me.

I have been around long enough to watch so-called unbeatable records in sports get tied, then broken. I was old enough to witness through TV when man went to the moon. I have seen wonder-working medicines defeat what were once thought to be incurable diseases.

It would seem as though when humans put their minds to it, they can do just about anything.

Still, when it comes to doing things, it is undeniable that not all humans are equally good. Some are just better at some things than others. I have seen genius writers who fail miserably at calculating numbers. A great worker may not necessarily be a great manager.

Guess Who we get to "blame" for that? Uh-huh. God designed gifts in each human person to be specific to His divine plan for that person. Each believer has a special role that fits in God's overall plan.

Scripture:
"Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues." (1 Corinthians 12:27-28)

Observation:
God appoints apostles, prophets, teachers, miracle workers, those with gifts of healing, those that help others, administrators, and those that speak in tongues. To each of these is given specific gifts in order to be useful in their role. Each is a part of the whole body of Christ, the church.

Application:
I am to exercise the gifts that God gives me in order to be a useful part in His body. It is important for me to find out what manifestations of the Holy Spirit are given me. Through the Holy Spirit, these gifts are given me for the common good.

Prayer:
Dear God, please enable me through Your Holy Spirit to discern the gifts through which You want to manifest Yourself in me. Holy Spirit please anoint me so that I may be a useful part of Christ's body. In His Name I pray. Amen.

March 27, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.