Thursday, August 02, 2007

Called To Endure Suffering

Before you hit that mouse button for another website, let me tell you that the most fun I have ever had was living my life as a follower of Christ. I was saved in my middle age so I can tell you my life before and now is like night is to day.

The most peace, the most joy, the most gladness, the most boldness, the most loving relation- ships came to my life when I received Jesus Christ as my personal Savior and God.

In all honesty, though, I'm here to say also that the gospel does not promise heaven nor a bed of roses this side of life.

God is more than able to make our troubles disappear in the blink of an eye. Those of us that have walked with Him through trying times know, though, that God does not operate that way. He does not "magically" make problems go away. He chooses to walk with the believer through the challenges they face.

Scripture:
"For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God...To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps." (1 Peter 2:19, 21)

Observation:
With God in mind, the believer who endures while being subject to unjust suffering is commended. It is far better for such a person. Every believer is called to this. Christ suffered for us. We follow in Christ's steps the example He left us.

Application:
I will endure hardship, mistreatment, misunderstanding, the oppression of the enemy as the LORD allows such in my life. God finds me commendable in this. It is following the example of Christ, which honors Him and gives Him glory. He called me to this. I am His.

Prayer:
Father God, help me to endure. Jesus, please take up my case and plead my pitiful state. Fill me, O Holy Spirit. Grant me supernatural strength, wisdom and grace. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

March 21, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.

"Artwork by John Bell copyright 1998-2007 (http://www.jrbell.com/index.html) used with permission".