Saturday, July 21, 2007

Strength Through Prayer

I have never had need yet to dial 911. But I know that when I need it, it is always there. I could count on help coming within minutes so long as I could call that number.

In the spiritual realm, there is also an emergency line to God that assures immediate connection 24/7/365. It is called prayer.

What's so cool about God is that He is not only available through the prayer line in an emergency. You could talk to Him on just about anything. He is that eager to hear from You.

Here's a radical tip, too. When you've been talking to God long enough, you'll learn to hear him talk to you also.

Scripture:
"On reaching the place, He said to them, 'Pray that you will not fall into temptation.'...When He rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, He found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. 'Why are you sleeping?' He asked them. 'Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.'" (Luke 22:40, 45-46)

Observation:
Jesus draws strength from communing with the Father through prayer. He sees temptation as a grave threat and prayer a weapon against it. Rather than sleep, which is a natural response to exhaustion, Jesus instructs the disciples to pray.

Application:
I must draw strength from God through prayer. Contending for God's promise, being still before Him knowing He is God, in the midst of trials, can be exhausting. Nevertheless, I may yet be made strong through prayer, to weather testing. In time, when the season is ripe, the promised harvest will come.

Prayer:
God grant me Your supernatural strength that I may not fall into temptation. Let me be proven worthy of Your blessings and to honor Your Name. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

January 22, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.