Friday, July 20, 2007

Faith That's Alive

Put your money where your mouth is, we often hear it said. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. The best plans remain only as they are---plans---until they are carried out.

You get the idea.

Top dollars are paid to those whose concepts end up in blueprints. But until the building is built, the blueprints really only amount to nothing more than dust bait.

Faith challenges the common notion of reality. Faith is being sure of things we hope for and being certain of things we do not see (Hebrews 11:1). Even then, only knowing this, even loudly proclaiming this, does not make faith complete. 'Action speaks louder than words' never rang more true.

Scripture:
"Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, 'Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,' and he was called God's friend." (James 2:21-23)

Observation:
God called Abraham friend. He passed God's test. He was obedient and trusting. He proved his faith by what he did, offering his son Isaac on the altar as God told him to do. God demonstrated through Abraham how faith is made complete by proving in action what the mouth declares.

Application:
I will be obedient and trusting in God. My faith will be seen in what I do according to what I say. I want to be proven true when God puts me to the test. I want to be called God's friend.

Prayer:
Holy Spirit, I turn to You for strength. I yield my will to You because on my own I do not know how much I can take. But Your Word promises that "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:13) That is my confidence in knowing that I can become God's friend. Father, please consider Your servant. Enable me to bring glory to my LORD and Savior, Jesus Christ. In His precious Name I pray. Amen.

July 18, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.