Saturday, July 14, 2007

I Am God's Temple

I still fondly recall the lyrics of a great hymn:

You ask me how I know He lives?
He lives within my heart!

How much more clearly can that be stated?

The believer knows this not only from singing the hymn or similar Christian songs. The Holy Spirit's indwelling presence is a daily experience to those that follow Christ.

That rush of freshness and energy in times of dryness and fatigue, that burst of wisdom in critical times that were never rehearsed nor scripted, that knot in the tummy when tempted to succumb to wrongdoing, that boldness when the natural inclination would be to fear, that stark contrast as though day from night in the transformation of character from crooked to good---and many more that the believer knows only too intimately but often is unable to adequately put into words---are but a few of the manifestations of the Holy Spirit living in the heart of those that believe in Jesus Christ as their personal Savior and God.


From my handwritten journal, my entry for March 27th of this year titled I Am God's Temple:

Scripture:
"Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple." (1 Corinthians 3:16, 17)

Observation:
God's Spirit lives in the believer. The believer is God's temple. When the believer is careless about his body and his testimony, or when another person is harmful to him, God's wrath is stirred.

Application:
I am to walk and maintain a wholeness that honors God in my body and my lifestyle. Others may try to harm me. I can be confident of God's justice as my Defender and Avenger.

Prayer:
Dear God, please enable me with Your Holy Spirit to walk a blameless life. Convict me when I drift from You and Your teachings. Steady me when I stumble. Catch me when I fall. Restore me to the sweetness of Your fellowship. Strengthen my will to resist and flee from temptation. Let me honor You with my thoughts, my words, my decisions, my behavior. Make of my existence an offering that brings honor and glory to my LORD and Savior Jesus Christ. In His Name I pray. Amen.