Thursday, August 09, 2007

Only God Is Trustworthy

Tight situations. If you are breathing and alive, you know and understand tough times. No one is insulated from those in this life.

Trying times in a Christian's life? You better believe there's plenty. Even with God in your life? You bet.

But why? My guess is as good as yours. Sometimes our own decisions bring dire consequences that we later regret. Sometimes God allows difficult conditions in the believer's life to grow and equip them further for a specific mission He has in mind for them. And God causes all things, even all sorts of trials, to work out for the good to those that love Him and whom He called to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)

This I do know, though: I could always count on God to be there for me whenever I go through seasons of testing. I would fret and worry sometimes because He is never early. But He never shows up late either!

Before God, I have tried everything else: knowledge, philosophy, religion, ideology, systems, politics, people. All held promise. Every one was a disappointment.

Only God has never let me down.

Scripture:
"Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God." (Psalm 20:7)

Observation:
Chariots and horses were dependable tools of war during their time because of the power they brought to the army. The name of the Lord our God is more trustworthy than chariots and horses.

Application:
I will not put my trust in tools and implements although they are handy in completing a job---even winning a war. The best tools pale in dependability compared to the name of the Lord our God. I may have the best tools of the trade but without God, I will likely fail---if not outright, eventually.

Prayer:
Father, I praise You because You are trustworthy. In fact, You alone can be trusted to be true and faithful all the time. No one and nothing else comes close. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

May 5, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.