Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Faith, Humility Move The Heart Of God

I have had opportunities to serve alongside several of God's ministers. Through the years, I have seen some blaze brightly and glow brighter and brighter to this day. And then there were those that sparkled and rocketed like comets across a dark sky but, just as quickly, faded and disappeared.

I noticed a common sign that seemed to be key to whether these ministers continued to shine or flame out. As soon as even a hint of pride became evident in them, their divinely ordained work immediately staggered.

To be sure, none of them was exempt from the occasional bout with taking themselves too seriously. No believer is, for that matter. But those that seemed able to catch themselves when being prideful, and turn from it, go on to greater heights. Those that succumb to pride invariably crash in shame.

Of course, turning from pride puts any believer's faith in true challenge.

Scripture:
"The woman came and knelt before him. 'Lord, help me!' she said.

"He replied, 'It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs.'

" 'Yes, Lord,' she said, 'but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table.'

"Then Jesus answered, 'Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.' And her daughter was healed from that very hour." (Matthew 15:25-28)

Observation:
Humility and faith move the heart of God. With such virtues, healing is but a request away. Humble and with faith, the woman made her request known. Tested by Christ, she proved her virtues genuine. Jesus merely said the word and her daughter was immediately healed.

Application:
I will be humble before the frightening power of the Almighty. Power to which I have access in faith through recognition of my powerlessness and total dependence on the grace and mercy of God to grant as I would request. What God wills, it will be. I will therefore humbly but tenaciously seek after God's will. I will trust that He will hear and, having heard, will give what I have asked. (1 John 5:14-15)

Prayer:
Dear God, I come to You humbly, fully trusting in Your wondrous might. From nothing, You speak things into existence. I worship and adore You. Please consider the desires of Your lowly servant. Grant me wisdom and strength so I may be useful in bringing glory to the Name of my LORD and Savior, Jesus Christ. In His sweet Name I pray. Amen.

April 28, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.