Monday, July 09, 2007

Father God Trains Us As Sons

It's fun to leaf through past entries in the quiet-time journal. It is said that faith is always 20-20 at hindsight. Journaling provides a record which allows me to peer into what my Father in heaven has been up to in my life.

My journal entry for December 14, 2006 titled Father God Trains Us As Sons Through Discipline In Hardship is one among many that help me find perspective in adversities that I face:

Scripture:
"Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?...Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." (Hebrews 12:7, 10-11)

Observation:
In hardship, we find God disciplining us as His children. This is so that we may share in His holiness. Discipline is unpleasant, painful, while under it. But when trained by it, it produces later in the saint the benefits of peace and righteousness.

Application:
In this present time, when the light at the end of the tunnel seems but the size of a pin hole, I must keep moving forward, prodded by the loving discipline of my Father in heaven. Previous episodes of hardship and discipline have already produced today an uncanny peace and assurance within and a familiarity with righteous steps as the only means to most quickly advance to the light and emerge at the other end. What pleasure, joy, increased steadfastness, and fresh righteous ways await there! Oh, what harvest of authority for the glory of Jesus Christ!

Prayer:
Holy Spirit, fill me. Encourage me. Enable me every step of the way. Because I desire the anointing. I so want to bless my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. It is in His precious Name that I pray. Amen.