Monday, August 13, 2007

Yes, The Divine Heart Breaks Too

I was on a train ride to work one morning when I ran into a rude passenger who would not allow anyone to sit beside him, insisting on keeping his backpack on the seat next to him.

The other passengers reported him to the train operator who told him to take his backpack off the seat.

Everyone did their best to be tolerant of him until he defiantly called a friend on his cell phone and started loudly speaking profanely through the phone, interspersing every other word he used with expletives.

The operator threw him out of the train at the next stop to the approving chatter of the other passengers.

Looking back now, I think of how God said in Genesis 1:26 that man is made in His likeness. Just like God is very patient, the train passengers were bearing with the rude one's misbehavior. But when all his bitterness spilled out further in profanity, the collective heart of everyone in the train grieved over the offense and decided discipline needed to be meted out.

How so like the heart of the Holy Spirit!

Scripture:
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." (Ephesians 4:29-32)

Observation:
The Christian is not to be foul-mouthed. Instead, he is to be sensitive to people's needs, allowing God to use his mouth to provide grace as needs require and as appropriate. In this, the Holy Spirit is pleased. Otherwise, along with bitterness, wrath, anger, tumult, evil speaking and all malice, the Holy Spirit is grieved. The Holy Spirit is a seal to the Christian until the day of redemption. Believers are to be like Christ to one another: kind, tenderhearted, forgiving one another as Christ has.

Application:
I am to be mindful of what comes out of my mouth. For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks. (Matthew 12:34b) My task is to allow the Holy Spirit to use my mouth to speak grace into people's needs. Especially among believers, I must submit to the gracious workings of the Holy Spirit. I must remember, Christ forgave me. I must be forgiving.

Prayer:
Dear God, please help my ungraciousness. Holy Spirit, please fill me. Fully control me. Let Christ's grace be the abundance of my heart that overflows through my mouth. Let me glorify Christ in this manner. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

June 8, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.