Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Spirit Sets Apart The Chosen

It's a big mystery to me. There are those that readily receive Jesus Christ as their personal Savior and God. Almost like a breeze, they mature and become productive workers in God's harvest field. They become vigorous sowers of the seed of God's Word in others.

Then there are those that take time, friendship, and getting all sorts of their questions answered before they finally make peace with Christ. And even while already walking with the Lord, their steps remain rather gingerly. At the slightest hint of doubt or seeming inconsistency in what they see or hear from fellow believers, they tend to want to go back to living without Christ.

Still, there are those that simply reject the message of Christ no matter how it is presented to them.

I cannot answer such deep mysteries. But I could catch a glimpse of wisdom regarding them in the pages of the Bible.

Scripture:
"But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth. He called you to this through our gospel, that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ." (2 Thessalonians 2:13-14)

Observation:
God chooses whom He may to save. The Spirit works to set apart those chosen and so that they may believe in the truth. Through the gospel, the chosen are called so that they may share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. From the beginning, God made His choice. He is to be thanked always for it.

Application:
I will always carry an attitude of gratitude towards God for those whom He has chosen. I cooperate with the Holy Spirit in His work to distinguish those chosen and by sharing my belief in the truth. My part is to proclaim the gospel to the world so that those chosen may be called to Jesus Christ.

Prayer:
Dear God, Your Word says You do not want anyone to perish. Knowing this, I must share the gospel boldly to everyone and anyone. Only then can I cooperate in ensuring that all whom God has chosen will hear His call. Holy Spirit, please fill me so that I may be bold for the sake of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Thank You for Your elect, those whom You have chosen. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

May 18, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.