Sunday, August 12, 2007

God Guards The Course Of The Just

Every now and then, you come across verses in the Bible that turn a switch on in your soul and suddenly, you understand a mystery.

Not that other verses in Scripture do not hold the same potential given the right situation and time. The Bible is THE book of wisdom for all time.

But there are wonders in this life that we know we can only explain if we put God in the mix and still not fully understand how such things happen.

Take for instance people living wrecked lives suddenly turning around. We have plenty of those in our time: drug addicts, hardened criminals, people lost in perversion. When Jesus Christ breaks into their consciousness, they invariably leave their troubled lives behind and turn out to be some of the nicest persons that ever walked. The Apostle Paul was a murderer of Christ's followers. He met Christ one day and immediately after became one of Jesus' greatest spokesmen.

And that's not even the wonder yet that really gets me befuddled. It's that after their lives take a turn towards a good direction, they stay on course. I don't question that God is more than able to do all that. I just want to understand how.

That's where the Bible passage we feature here today comes in.

Scripture:
"My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning you ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones.

"Then you will understand what is right and just and fair---every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.

"Wisdom will save you from the ways of the wicked men, ..." (Proverbs 2:1-12)

Observation:
God causes all sorts of divine benefits to come to the person that accepts His words and stores up His commands. He guards the course of the just and protects the way of His faithful ones. He provides the way to understanding that in turn leads the way to the benefits.

Application:
I accept God's Word and store His commands within me. I turn my ear to wisdom and apply my heart to understanding. I will call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding. I will look for it like it were silver and search for it as I would for hidden treasure. I will seek to understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.

Prayer:
Thank You, God, for providing the way. I accept Your words and store Your commands within me. I call out to You for insight. I cry aloud to You for understanding. Guard my course, protect my way. Lead me to all good paths---let Your wisdom enter my heart. Let knowledge be pleasant to my soul. Save me from the ways of the wicked. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

May 26, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.