Monday, August 27, 2007

God's Grace Favors Hearts Set On Seeking Him

Looking back to those days when I roamed this earth lost and denying there is a God, I can see clearly what I kept brushing aside then. God was always nearby. There was always somebody or something that kept reminding me that God is real and that He loves me so.

Patiently, God did His work until I was at the eve of asking Jesus Christ into my life as my personal Savior and God. What kept me from following through completely was not unbelief. It was more of disbelief. I could not comprehend, knowing how rotten I was, how a holy and perfect God could possibly want to forgive me and welcome me into His family.

A Christian friend introduced me to God's love and grace. She advised me never to underestimate the power of these attributes in God's character. She showed me verses in the Bible regarding grace such as Romans 3:22-24 :
This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.
And verses regarding God's love such as John 3:16 :
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
And many more such verses that set my heart at ease and pointed it towards a course that eagerly sought after Him. I asked Christ into my life to be my Savior and God. And God poured His love and grace upon me, forgiving me of all my sins, and adopting me into His family as a son.

Baby Christian toddles expectedly produced scraped knees and bruises. But in time my steps steadied and here I am, still enjoying this great adventure I have walking with my Father in heaven, the one true God of all Creation.

Scripture:
"Since many in the crowd had not consecrated themselves, the Levites had to kill the Passover lambs for all those who were not ceremonially clean and could not consecrate their lambs to the LORD. Although most of the many people who came from Ephraim, Manasseh, Issachar and Zebulun had not purified themselves, yet they ate the Passover, contrary to what was written. But Hezekiah prayed for them, saying, 'May the LORD, who is good, pardon everyone who sets his heart on seeking God—the LORD, the God of his fathers—even if he is not clean according to the rules of the sanctuary.' And the LORD heard Hezekiah and healed the people." (2 Chronicles 30:17-20)

Observation:
Once a people is estranged from God in unfaithfulness and disobedience, they are diseased of spirit and well on their way to dying. Yet, God's grace so defines His character that in spite of being in the thick of ceremonies dictated by the Law, God pardons and heals even those that break the rules so long as they desire more to return to Him with hearts set on seeking Him. Oh, and when a righteous person prays for them, it certainly never hurts. (James 5:16)

Application:
I will incline my heart towards God at all times. I will strive to be obedient and faithful. Christ's blood makes me righteous. Still, I will seek to be found righteous yet in what I do. In this, I hope that God will hear when I pray for others.

Prayer:
God, thank You for Your grace and mercy. Holy Spirit, please fill me. Enable me to be faithful and obedient, ever seeking my Father in heaven. Use me so that glory abounds in Christ alone. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

July 20, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.

Artwork from Morning Star.