Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"My Righteous One Will Live By Faith"

One must simply stop and at least consider the way Christ's disciples suffered for their faith. Often in danger, they were imprisoned, beaten up, chained, persecuted. They continued to proclaim their faith even in the face of cruel death.

History is replete with accounts of early Christians being socially outcast, their properties confiscated. Some were forced into slavery. Some died on their knees worshiping God after being thrown to the lions for entertainment.

Today, faithful Christians hold secret worship services in their homes, in the woods, in caves in places like China, Vietnam, the Middle East. Pastors get arrested, tortured, thrown into prisons.

Yet, in spite of centuries of cruelty and mistreatment, Christ's followers continue to grow in number.

We may attribute that to any number of reasons. But to me, the number one reason is that God said, "But my righteous ones will live by faith." (Hebrews 10:38) The faithful understand that they do not belong among those who shrink back and are destroyed. They belong among those who believe and are saved. (Hebrews 10:39)

Persecution, beatings, even death do not destroy those whose faith is in Christ. Their salvation is forever.

Scripture:
"Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering. Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution; at other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated. You sympathized with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions.

"So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. For in just a very little while,
'He who is coming will come and will not delay.
But my righteous one will live by faith.
And if he shrinks back,
I will not be pleased with him.' But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved."
(Hebrews 10:32-39)

Observation:
The believer's confidence in Christ is such that they hold loosely even to their properties. They know they have better and lasting possessions. Believers need only persevere. We are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed. We are of those who believe and are saved.

Application:
All belong to God. What appear to be my possessions are merely heavenly resources that God is entrusting to me to manage for the increase of His Kingdom. I believe. I am saved. I will not shrink back. I will persevere. Christ is coming without delay. I want to be found faithful.

Prayer:
Dear God, You give and take away. My heart will surely say, "Lord, blessed by Your Name." I have Your promise and I know You are faithful. Praise be to Your Name! In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

July 13, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.