Saturday, August 18, 2007

Righteous Person: Effective Prayer

I am a friend to an American couple who are two of the most steadfast believers in prayer. They served in key leadership roles in missionary Bible translation work in the Philippines.

In one of their e-newsletters, they requested prayer as they had to travel by sea to one of the Philippines' numerous islands at a time when a typhoon was forecast to pass by their route.

The couple has a worldwide team of prayer supporters. They asked their team to petition the Lord for safe passage to their destination and for good weather for the strategic gathering that they were leading there.

When they e-mailed their next update, what do you know? The typhoon actually veered off its course and completely left their area in balmy weather!

The Bible tells of the effectiveness of the prayer of even but one righteous man in interceding in behalf of even an entire nation. This couple, whose righteousness is evidenced by their faithful work, presumably prayed for good weather on their own. Add to them the worldwide symphony of numerous righteous men and women praying for them. How could the heart of a loving and righteous God not be moved?

Scripture:
"Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac and Israel, to whom you swore by your own self: 'I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and I will give your descendants all this land I promised them, and it will be their inheritance forever.' " Then the LORD relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened. (Exodus 32:13-14)

Observation:
Moses interceded for his fellow Israelites. He spoke to God recalling His covenant with Abraham and the promises this entailed to Isaac and Israel. Moses passed a crucial test of his character here, revealing a shepherd's heart for his people. In doing so, he was speaking to the very heart of God with regards to Israel. So, God relented.

Application:
I should be mindful that God retains sovereignty over delivery or denial of His promises or warnings depending on how man responds to Him. I must prove myself true. I should strive to pass God's tests. Still, in Christ, I have eternal life. He is my righteousness. I can be confident that when I approach God, if I ask anything according to his will, he hears me. And if I know that he hears me—whatever I ask—I know that I have what I asked of Him. (1 John 5:14-15)

Prayer:
Dear God, thank You for providing prayer as an ever ready means of access to You. Thank You for answering prayers. I am very grateful for the opportunity to partner with You through prayer in ministering to the needs of those that You have placed in my care. Thank You for the freedom in Christ that You have granted so that I may freely approach You in Your throne room with my requests and petitions. Thank You for Your faithfulness. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

February 1, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.