Friday, August 24, 2007

Joy In The Midst Of Trials

I was in a bus accident several years back. My wife and daughter were with me as our bus cruised southbound in a freeway in the Philippines.

Suddenly, a truck carrying sand from the northbound side veered off toward us, it's driver apparently having fallen asleep. It crossed the grassy median strip, climbed up the embankment supporting our lane and slammed against the left-side of our bus.

Our bus fell off the opposite embankment and rolled three times. When everything came to a stop, and as my wife and I were taking stock of the injuries we sustained (our daughter miraculously came out of it without a scratch), a lady from the back of our bus stood up, began waving her Bible and started saying, "Praise the Lord, hallelujah, praise the Lord!"

We did not pay attention to her. We were on survival mode. We just recall vaguely thinking, "What 'praise the Lord', lady? We just nearly got killed."

Looking back now, the lady had the right attitude. My wife and I were baby Christians at the time and could barely understand. But the Bible says God inhabits the praises of His people. (Psalm 22:3)

In the midst of trials, a steadfast heart that remains joyfully grateful and worshipful to God breaks down any stronghold the enemy may have erected. It declares to the world that God is in charge here. Jesus is King of kings and Lord of lords.

Scripture:
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything...Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God promised to those who love him." (James 1:2-4, 12)

Observation:
The author, known as James the Just, encourages his readers to continue in faith to strive in spite of adversities. His admonition to consider facing trials pure joy does not come from a sentimentalist motivation. James points to the crown of life that Jesus Christ promises to give to those that stand the test. James takes his readers from the folly of romanticism to a conscious moral choice to regard maturity and persevering more important than avoiding the difficulties of trials. In this sense, the believer joins Christ in a very special fellowship, the brotherhood of those who have suffered for their faith in God. That is where the joy lies in spite of trials.

Application:
I want the crown of life. I want the loving intimacy that Jesus Christ offers as He invites to His unique fellowship. I want His loving grace that allows me to go through trials so I may gain an ever-deepening knowledge of God's character. I want that joy that anticipates in trials a strengthening in my character. That makes for untold riches in Christ's glory!

Prayer:
Holy Spirit please fill me. Empower me to be joyful in the midst of trial. Enable me to be useful in Christ's glory. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

July 17, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.