Tuesday, August 21, 2007

My Permanent Priest

Growing up, I was attracted to priests. I thought, what a high and noble calling. They were respected. They championed what is right and what is God-ly. Most of my peers went to them for relief whenever something bothered their conscience.

They seemed to be my friends' go-between to God. I thought that I wanted to be like one of them someday.

I happened to be the son, however, of someone who grew up serving priests. My dad was the first to call my attention to the imperfection of human priests.

I will spare you the ghastly details of my father's observations. Suffice it to say that recent headlines corroborate my father's testimony.

Then, as I moved on in my topsy-turvy past, I met Jesus Christ. I began to study His Word, the Bible. That there is only one God was not new information to me, given my religious background. What astounded me in 1 Timothy 2:5 was a truth that I did not know until then: There is only one mediator between God and man. That mediator is Jesus Christ.

I said to myself, how cool is that? Not only is Jesus Christ my personal Lord and Savior, He is also my permanent priest. He is perfect. And He lives forever. I can count on him to mediate in my behalf to the Father forever!

Jesus Christ is the ultimate priest. He will never disappoint.

Scripture:
"Now there have been many of these priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office; but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them." (Hebrews 7:23-25)

Observation:
Jesus lives forever. His priesthood is permanent. He is not like human priests who die and could not continue in their work. Those who come to God through Jesus are saved completely. Only Jesus is able to do this because He always lives to intercede for them.

Application:
I will keep on trusting Jesus. I need not look far for someone to take my case up to the Father. Jesus is already there seated on the Father's right hand side. He intercedes forever in my behalf. Because He lives, I will live forever!

Prayer:
Praise and all glory be to You, sweet Jesus! You offered Your sinless, unblemished self on the cruel cross of Calvary as the perfect sacrifice that washed away my sins through the precious blood that flowed from your broken body. What a stunning, complete work of salvation! You deserve my thanks. You deserve my worship. You deserve my adoration, my complete devotion. Thank You for being my perfect priest. In Your sweet Name I pray. Amen.

July 10, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.