Friday, June 29, 2007

God Grants Repentance

Here's a follow up post which I'm lifting from my personal handwritten journal (a tool that I use in my quiet time with God). This is really a return to the original intent of this blog, which is to journal my walk with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

I invite you to find out more about this journal. It is one of the ways that I hear my Father in heaven speak directly to the issues that I face every day.

In today's posting, I am using the entry I made in the journal for June 26, 2007. I was stunned to realize that, as important as repentance is to salvation, it is also God that grants it. (2 Timothy 2:25-26)

Here's how the journal entry went:

Scripture:
"Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will." (2 Timothy 2:22-26) [Emphasis added]

Observation:
Impetuousness marks youth. It also makes for partiality to evil. Once old, but even more so in youth, the man of God must turn his ways toward righteousness, faith, love and peace. He must surround himself with God-ly people. Kindly in disposition and not quarrelsome, he must gently teach even those that oppose him. This is the role of God's servant, in partnership with God. With the servant's part fulfilled, God may grant repentance that may lead to salvation.

Application:
I must realize the age I am at now. Righteousness, faith, love and peace should now be most important to me. I must be deliberate in building friendship with God-ly people. I must do away with my temper that renders me irrational. I should be patient and loving in sharing my faith. I must acknowledge the grave responsibility that is in my role as servant and as one who has responded to God's invitation to partner with Him in the salvation process.

Prayer:
God, please help my unrighteousness. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit so I could be a useful servant and partner to You. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.