Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Loving The Pain-In-The-Neck Neighbor

Among my neighbors, there is one that just gets on everybody's nerves. He particularly dislikes barking dogs. He would knock on a neighbor's door even in the dead of dawn to complain about their dog. He is quick to call the cops on them.

Yet, he has no qualms about his loud jamming sessions with his band of ragtag rocker friends. Or his blaring stereo. He seems unable to control his rowdy sons from their roughhousing play that sometimes does damage to neighbors' properties.

Through it all, the other neighbors do their best to be tolerant towards him. They have never raised a complaint against him to the authorities. The most I've seen them do is compare notes with each other about his offenses.

It is all I could do, too, to be gracious towards him. But, I am thankful to God I have him for a neighbor.

I know that sounds strange. But you know how God's ways are radically different than man's ways. God's ways are so not like ours that it sometimes takes painstaking practice to get to a place where you more readily apply them with grace.

Now, I'm sure you've heard, God says "Love your neighbor." Don't you think I'm blessed I have this guy to practice that with?

Scripture:
"The way of the Lord is a refuge for the righteous but it is the ruin of those who do evil." (Proverbs 10:29)

"As the Scripture says, 'Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame.'" (Romans 10:11; Isaiah 28:16)

Observation:
The righteous runs to the ways of the Lord in times of despair, distress, or oppression. Comfort is found in the ways of the Lord. God assures that those who trust in Him will never suffer humiliation.

Application:
In the face of an oppressive neighbor, for example, one finds solace in the Word of God which instructs to "Love your neighbor." It is not submission to the wickedness of the neighbor that keeps a righteous person humble, gracious, and peaceable. It is submission to God! The Lord teaches, after all: "Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord. On the contrary: 'If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.' Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:19-21) There is no embarassment in pursuing hard after the ways of the Lord.

Prayer:
God, thank You for reminding me of Your ways. Thank You for shining light on the correct path. Fill me, Holy Spirit. Convict me of unrighteousness. Enable me in the path that honors Jesus Christ. For it is in the sweet name of Jesus that I pray. Amen.

June 29, 2007 entry to the personal handwritten journal I use in my quiet time with God.

"Artwork by John Bell copyright 1998-2007 (http://www.jrbell.com/index.html) used with permission".