Thursday, February 10, 2005

I Love You, Punk

Forgive my crass frivolity, LORD, but in today's slang, that pretty much says what you did for me. Of course, if you were asked, I'm sure you would have described it a lot better than I just did.

I could glean that from the example in your Word:

Romans 5:8 (NIV)
"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Amazing love, LORD! Amazing grace. Without such a love how could the likes of me who shook our fists at your face and maligned your holy Name have had any hope at all?

You yourself taught:

John 15:13 (NIV)
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

Yet, LORD, when you died for me, I was not your friend. I was your enemy!

How awesome is your love. And I say 'awesome' not in the usual way that we mean it these days. I mean, your love is immeasurable. You did not only say:

Matthew 5:44 (NIV)
"...Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..."

You proved faithful to your Word by setting the example yourself.

That's why you are worthy of our praise. You are worthy of our thanks.

Be glorified, dear LORD. Let your glory be magnified.

In Jesus' Mighty Name, I ask it, LORD. Amen.

I don't know about you but I have always been suspicious about this self-esteem business. I grew up in a school system and a home where discipline and self-control were valued. Today, self-esteem gurus throw out these time-honored principles in the name of promoting a "positive self outlook". As a result, we promote slackers, cheaters and abusers simply because we "do not want to hurt their feelings."

Now, psychologists themselves are saying
forget about self-esteem. Read up, bud. See how the wisdom of God's Word kicks human wisdom once again on the behind.