Sunday, February 06, 2005

Jesus Christ, My Righteousness

Romans 3:10 (NIV)
"As it is written: 'There is no one righteous, not even one; ...'"

How sobering it is, Father, to know from your Word that none among us, your human creation, is righteous. Even if we gave to the poor. Even if we went to church every Sunday. Even if we sacrificed our lives for the weak. Even if we ate and breathed religion.

It is staggering to realize what your Word says about our righteousness:

Isaiah 64:6 (NIV)
"...all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away."

I shudder to think that there was a time when I thought that I could earn my way to your heaven. The best of my righteous heroics could not have done it. All the wealth in the universe could not have bought me a ticket, if there ever was one.

Yet, I was not without hope. You sent your Son. He became my righteousness. Your Word said so:

Romans 3:21-23
"But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, ..."

Thank you, LORD. Now I am righteous, not because of what I have done. Jesus Christ obeyed your plan to save me and my kind; even to death he obeyed. The finished work of Jesus Christ and my faith in him made me righteous.

Be glorified, my Father.

In Jesus' Mighty Name, I ask it, LORD. Amen

Check out this fine post on Social Security. Read up also on this alert from Liberty Counsel on an activist judge in New York.