Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Children Are A Reward From God

My daughter is nineteen now. My boy is thirteen. Both remind me of how fleeting time can be.

Back when I was their age, the year 2000 seemed light years away. Back then, imagining the years being written as 2001, 2002... instead of 1976, 1977... seemed like an idea taken out of a futuristic science fiction novel.

Becoming a dad was a scary idea then. Did I know enough about life? Was I grown up enough? Will I be a good provider? Funny how kids come along anyways and each time, you find out you just kind of knew what to do.

I had to spend the first six years of my daughter's life away from her and her mom (long story fit for another post). She was aloof and would not relate to me when I finally joined them. I decided not to chase after her too much. I thought that perhaps when she got used to having me around everyday she would eventually warm up to me.

It was her mom that broke through for me one day. She asked my daughter why it was that she didn't like her dad. She said, "Because you love him first now." My wife finally understood. She promised that there was no first nor second in her love for her and her dad. She loved us both the same.

That was all it took. They had this conversation while we were fishing at the coast. On our way home, I sensed a certain warmth in the car and I knew it was not from the weather. I just knew that things have turned around for the good between myself and my daughter.

What a clinger she turned out to be. Her grandpa had to admonish her time and again for demanding to be picked up as I got home even when I was visibly tired from work. You know, I learned that you could be in your death bed but when your child asks you, "Pick me up, pick me up," you will get up and do it.

My boy is taller than I am now. What a brave young man he is turning out to be. When rambunctious kids bother us while we are fishing at the lake, he warns their leader, "I could take you."

He's gone far from the colic little baby who cried all night even when I've fed him and burped him and made sure his diaper was fresh and dry. He has grown from the toddler who trained his parents to use the family car as his rock-a-bye crib as he fell asleep in it each time as soon as the wheels started rolling.

How my boy broke my heart one time I was working on a dangerous project in the garage. He kept breaking my instruction to him to stay inside the house and not join me in the garage. I was getting frustrated so I gave him a swat on his behind. The one and only time in his life that I've done it.

I saw him tremble and then cry. I hated myself for doing it. I thought he would hate me for the rest of his life after that. But you know what devastated me? When I was done with my project, while I was resting and watching a little TV, he came over and climbed into my lap like nothing happened.

I first learned about unconditional love from God. My little boy fine tuned it for me in that one innocent act.

The Bible says,

Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Psalm 127:3

Children enjoy a special place in the heart of Christ:

When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them. Mark 10:14-16

My wife complains that she wishes our kids would start acting more like adults. I tell her that we were naturally late-bloomers on my side of the family. They must have picked up from me their childlike playfulness and lack of interest in the "grown up" stuff at this time.

But, hey, my kids know and love the LORD. They are into schooling and getting a degree. They are not lost in parties and dating and booze and drugs. They say such stuff bore them.

I am a wretch but for the grace of my LORD and Savior Jesus Christ. But I can't help thinking that somewhere in my crooked youth I must have done something right. For God has rewarded me with two of the best kids in the planet.

Not bad for someone who was afraid to be a dad.