Thursday, June 16, 2005

Meme Tag - Books

Worn out books tell of nimble, fit minds. Posted by Hello

I have been tagged by Pastor J.A. Gillmartin of The SHEEP's Crib with this meme on books. Many thanks to him as it gives me a chance to write about my own love of reading--really mostly anything that has print on it--and so also of books.

I understood from Pastor John that bloggers play this fun little game to get to know one another. I read also from Bloggers that it helps generate traffic. I thought that last one shouldn't hurt.

Like Pastor John, I should tag five other bloggers I know, who should also each tag five others and so on, to keep the game going. My tag list is at the bottom of this post.

Here are the four captions I'm supposed to answer and pass on to other bloggers:

Total Number Of Books Owned Ever: At least one thousand.

Last Book Bought: The Grace and Truth Paradox, by Randy Alcorn

Last Book I Read: Under The Influence (How Christianity Transformed Civilization), by Alvin J. Schmidt - (I'm actually still at it.--SDO)

Five Books That Mean A Lot To Me:

1. The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, by Carson McCullers
2. The Managerial Grid, by Robert R. Blake and Jane S. Mouton
3. The Case For Christ, by Lee Strobel
4. The Ascent of A Leader, by Bill Thrall, Bruce McNicol and Ken McElrath
5. This last one is tough to pin down because they all matter a lot to me in the context of the present:

  • Radical Reformission, by Mark Driscoll
  • Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire, by Jim Cymbala
  • Fresh Faith, by Jim Cymbala
  • God Works The Night Shift, by Ron Mehl

I am one with Pastor John in deliberately leaving out the Bible. Indeed, it is in a class all by itself. To quote Pastor John:

...because it is...the only inspired, infallible, inerrant, plenary volume whose writing, publication, and preservation have been superintended by God himself.

Now to tag other bloggers: A Journey Home, Transforming Sermons, northern 'burbs blog, FUNDAMENTALLY RIGHT, and Espresso Roast.

If any of you, guys, whom I have tagged here have already been tagged previously on this meme, please accept my apologies. In any case, I am really interested also in the books that had made an impact in your lives.

God bless you.