Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Is Trouble Looking For You?

"Life has a way of throwing a curve ball at you."

"You can drive as carefully as you can but what about other reckless drivers?"

"There's only so much I can do. I'm overwhelmed."

LORD, in your able hands and all-seeing vision, these common expressions of distress would be unnecessary. Could it be that we subject ourselves to needless anxiety just because we forget what you have already promised?

"The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him." (Nahum 1:7)

How easily we forget that even over calamity, you have promised us comfort:

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging." (Psalm 46:1-3)

Against man's terror and harmful intent, you have given your assurance:

"Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with your right hand you save me." (Psalm 138:7)

When sin assaults and temptation persists you are our rampart:

"The LORD is my rock, my fortress and deliverer; my God is my rock in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." (Psalm 18:2)

In those times when you yourself allow tests and trials in our lives, it is for a purpose that benefits us (such as when you want to surface an attribute of a man's character that he may not be aware of; or when error needs to be corrected):

"For men are not cast off by the LORD forever. Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love. For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men." (Lamentations 3:31-33)

At such times, we are to wait for the LORD. For blessed are all who wait for him:

"Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." (Psalm 27:14)

It is not beyond God to provide a trouble-free life. But then, what need will we have of God's comfort? In hard times, we appreciate a helping hand. We experience the comfort of God so we may comfort others:

"For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows." (2 Corinthians 1:5)

Indeed, if we only lean constantly on your promises, Father, distress will find no room. Worry, we will realize, is sin. For you have invited us into your rest:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)

Help our forgetfulness, LORD. Grant us your peace.

In Jesus' Name, I pray. Amen.

--------------------------------------------

My apologies to my blogging siblings. I am not quite current on issues and events as I am temporarily limited in online access. I am in the middle of a business transition and having to rebuild internet access at a different venue. Will resume watch on current events as soon as the rebuild is complete. God bless you.