Sunday, March 27, 2005

I Serve A Risen Savior

It is almost time to retire for the night. I ponder the day just past. I made it through a weekend of packing, loading and unloading as we executed our plan for the big move, taking the bulk of our belongings in a rented truck from the store back to our home. It was very much like moving into a new home again. I thank all of you who prayed for sustaining grace for myself and my family. I felt buoyed in spirit all throughout. It should all be downhill now from here till the end of the month.

This morning at church, as elder, I was asked to pray for the cup during communion. I remember thanking the Father for my LORD and Savior Jesus Christ. It was his blood that flowed from his broken body on the cross that provided once and for all cleansing, washing away mankind's sin. It gave the finality that the blood of bulls and goats lacked.

In Florida, Terri Schiavo continued to dehydrate and starve. She was given her last rites. Police arrested protesters who attempted to give her water.

What a week it had been. I remember musing over what an agonizing sacrifice death on the cross is. The LORD's tongue at one point was said to have stuck to the roof of his mouth because it was parched from thirst and all the blood he lost. I imagined how dry Terri Schiavo's tongue must be each hour that passes by without liquids supplied to her body.

I was in thirst, too. In my heart, that is. I so wanted to share my thoughts in writing here but could not until these last remaining hours. Still, even though it was hard on my body, I was thankful for the distraction of having to attend to the "last rites" we needed to perform on our possessions at our business. At least, it turned my attention to something productive.

In the end, it is the melody of a hymn sung this morning at church that lingers in my mind and quenches the longing in me for refreshment. The title of the song is "He Lives." In its first line it said, "I serve a risen Savior."

Living water persists within me, welling up and nourishing my spirit. He lives, alright. He lives! Christ rose from the dead. Terri will have her day still. And she will never thirst again.

Eternal thirst awaits some that hover about her to make sure she will never drink again in this life.