Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Cat Days Of Summer


Alright, alright, you dog lovers. I know the expression is attributed to your beloved pets. Just being a little playful here with my opener. Gotta catch some attention, see.

No, this one's not the Kitty I wrote about in previous posts. This one's the neighbor's cat I spotted dozing off on top of their fence as I was about to get into my car yesterday morning to go to work. What a photo op, I thought. So, I braved the few minutes I was sure to get tardy at the workplace and took a few shots. I just could not pass this one up.

Speaking of yesterday, my apologies. I know Wednesday is our funny or inspirational post day. But while I was processing this photo, my dog, er, computer started acting up. It started confusing my photo file names and when I would delete one I end up losing another.

It was probably just reminding me that I have not defragged and have not updated my virus and spyware files and have not scanned for those for a good many weeks now. So, I did all those. Fine and dandy, my computer started smiling back at me again. The downside: after the maintenance list was all checked off, Wednesday was gone.

So, this is a make up post. We publish today what we would have yesterday. But before that, let's introduce you to the real Kitty:

This is her favorite haunt after the garage (oh, well, since it's summer, we've moved her food and water troughs to the back porch so that is for now her top stop). This is her sister's (my daughter's) bed.

My daughter says Kitty tells her when she likes to stay, or when she's antsy about being indoors and would prefer to be led out. She says Kitty "insists" when she wants out. Kitty has a way of waking her up if she's asleep and she wants to go out. She just has a way of telling her. I don't know how but she does. One way I am sure she likes to stay is when she does this:


Oh, yes. That's her favorite activity. According to my daughter, who is an expert on cats (and if she could only grow fur and a tail would have been a cat herself), they are asleep 65% of their lifetime, 15% in deep sleep and 50% in light.

Not a problem with me. Kitty's a lot easier to catch when she's snoring away (honest, she does!) than when she's active and alert and outside and just would not respond to all the tricks I know to catch her.

Because I have my own favorite activity around her. I scold her and ask her, "Who told you you can sleep in here, who told you?" She would just look back at me with her bored look as though to say, "Here we go again." Then I would scoop her up. She's so warm and limp and just melts into my arms when she's coming off sleep. Then I would give her hug after hug until she complains (translation: she would stop purring and her tail would start swishing back and forth vigorously).

Then I know it's time to lay her gently back down on her sister's bed and let her have at her delicious sleep. Oh, she just flows right back into it. But not until she has insulted me by shaking her head and grooming herself as though to say, "Yuch! Humans."

Oh, well. That's our Kitty. We love her to death and she just loves us right back.

Oh, the funny post? I thought I just gave you one.